Dundee United demolishes Brechin City

The latest match from the Scottish Championship between Brechin City and Dundee United was an interesting one, at least. Dundee United made a 5-0 victory, which lifted them to the third place in the Championship. Scott McDonald was the hero of the Tangerines team – he scored two goals, despite playing only one half of the game. If Brechin City was to judge according to the first half only, they would have never guessed the final result.

The first half was unamusing, to say the least. All of the goals were in the second half – only six minutes after the break, Scott McDonald scored the first goal for the Tangerines. He set up the next goal for Billy King only five minutes after his great shot. McDonald made a huge difference of 3-0 in the 79th minute of the game. His teammate, Scott Fraser was given a free kick only two minutes after the third goal – and he was precise as well. Bilel Mohsni made it 5-0 with a header only two minutes before the final whistle.

However, before McDonald arrived at the field, the match was pretty even. City was causing United trouble, despite being the last team on the list, and thus, relegated. By winning this match, United secured a third place – only one place behind the second-placed team, Livingston. Both City and United had their chances in the first half, yet, none of them scored. City had the first shot at the goal, only two minutes into the game. Nine minutes were on the clock when King tried his luck for the Tangerines. United goalkeeper, Deniz Mehmet, had to make a wonderful stop and prevent Dylan Mackin from launching the header into the net. Bad luck struck City when Jordan Sinclair got injured and was replaced by Graham. Callum Tapping almost scored for City, when he took the advantage of Mohsni’s slip and made Deniz save United’s net once again – in the 23rd minute. Only three minutes later, the Tangerines tried to overtake City’s goalkeeper by letting Jamie Robson fire the ball – unfortunately, into the side net. Just 15 seconds after the beginning of the second half, City had a chance to score when Mackin’s shot hit Deniz’s left hand and went across the goal. After the first two United’s goals, the Tangerines could build up the pressure and make City defend their net, instead of creating chances.

The Terrors had a night to remember – a victory of 5-0 and a secured third place in the Championship. The United’s “super sub” Scott McDonald was definitely the man of the match – his two goals certainly gave United their much-needed self-confidence.